ORIGINS OF PILGRIMAGE TO FATIMA
Our Lady of the Rosary appeared to the three children for the first time on 13th May 1917, while they were tending sheep, and she would then visit them on the 13th day of each month until her last apparition, which took place on 13th October 1917. This last visit was witnessed by 70,000 pilgrims and is known as the ‘Miracle of the Sun’.
An impressive sanctuary, the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary, was built to commemorate these extraordinary events in 1928; and the Vatican officially recognised the children’s visions in 1939, when papal indulgences were granted to pilgrims travelling to Fatima.
The 13th of each month is still today an important date of pilgrimage to Fatima, remembering the date Our Lady appeared to the three shepherd children.
THINGS TO DO AND SEE IN FATIMA
These are some of our favourite things to do and see while on pilgrimage to Fatima:
- Pray at the Apparitions Chapel, Capelinha das Aparições
- Visit the homes of the three shepherds in the village of Aljustre
- Take part in the evening candles procession
- Walk the Via Sacra route following the path that the three shepherd children took from their home to Cova da Iria
- Spend a few days relaxing at the coast
Learn more about Fatima on our travel blog: PILGRIMAGES TRAVEL BLOG
PILGRIMAGE TO FATIMA TOURS
Our Pilgrimage to Fatima tours include:
- Direct return flights from the UK to Lisbon Airport
- Airport transfers
- Full support from our guides and representatives in Fatima
- Hotel accommodation with breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Full programme of religious ceremonies, events and special masses
- Guided tours and visits
- Social evenings
- Day trips: Discover the beauty and history of wonderful towns and cities in the region, such as Lisbon, Nazare, Santarem, Coimbra, Braga or Porto.
We also offer travel packages combining your pilgrimage to Fatima with a few days relaxing by the coast, in the pretty seaside town of Estoril; as well as our pilgrimage escorted tours of Europe visiting Fatima, Santiago de Compostela and Lourdes.
Talk to our experienced travel experts about your pilgrimage to Fatima.
OUR HOTELS IN FATIMA
The Joe Walsh Tours team works with some of the best hotels in Fatima:
4-star Hotel Cinquentenário is a modern and well-equipped hotel, located only a 4-minute walk from the Sanctuary in Fatima.
It is a very popular choice for Irish pilgrims who enjoy its high levels of comfort and relaxing surroundings. This great hotel is also wheelchair accessible throughout.
Facilities: Wheelchair accessibility throughout the hotel, restaurant, piano bar, café, conference centre, gift shop, air-conditioning
Location: 1hr 30 min from the airport, 4 minutes from the Sanctuaries and 5 minutes from the town centre.
Fill in this form and we will send you travel suggestions