Sun City and Johannesburg
Please note that these are tailor made itineraries and not escorted tours.
Sun City is renowned as South Africa's glitziest holiday resort with a huge variety of entertainment, activity and excursion options. It is a purpose built complex located about two hours drive outside Johannesburg and offers a choice of world-class hotels with excellent facilities, as well as the best in game, golf and gambling.
There is something for everyone in Sun City, from families and honeymooners to corporate groups and those who just want to treat themselves. Golfers will enjoy an exciting and challenging golf experience at the par-72 Lost City Golf Course and Gary Player Country Club, set against the rugged backdrop of the Pilanesburg Mountains. While animal lovers will enjoy a guided wildlife safari in Pilanesberg Game Reserve, a 10-minute drive from Sun City. One of South Africa's largest national parks, it covers an area of 55,000 hectares and is home to the Big 5 - Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Hippo and Buffalo.
Take it easy with a relaxing day spent soaking up the sun on the man-made beach or try scenic hot air ballooning. If something more exciting appeals to you then why not try your luck in the Casino? In addition, there are numerous dining and entertainment options from live shows and cabarets to concerts and discos.
Johannesburg, popularly known as Jo’Burg, has managed to survive its turbulent history and is striving towards becoming a modern progressive city. There are a number of topclass hotels in excellent tourist locations and it acts as a gateway to Sun City. For those interested in the history of South Africa, it is an interesting place to spend of few days.Home to the sprawling township of Soweto, there are a number of excellent escorted township tours providing an insight into the history and culture of South Africa. Jo’Burg is the best city in South Africa for arts and crafts shopping with excellent flea markets selling high quality crafts, including colourful blankets from Mali and traditional African masks. In addition, it is home to several major shopping centres including Rosebank Mall and the enormous Sandton City Shopping Centre, both located close to our hotels.
When you have got some ideas on your holiday, please feel free to contact our experienced Worldwide Travel specialists on:
- Valley of the Waves: This waterpark is the most advanced waterpark in South Africa and provides hours of fun for children and the young at heart. A large lagoon dominates the scene with a wave machine capable of generating 1.8 metre waves every 90 seconds. It has five exciting flume rides, including the Temple of Courage, where swimmers drop a scary 17 metres down a shute and under a bridge before splashing into a small pool at the foot of the slide!
- Waterworld: Adrenaline junkies will enjoy the action-packed watersports in Sun City’s huge man made lake offering everything from jet-skiing and parasailing to water-skiing and paddleboats.
- Pilanesberg National Park: This nature reserve sits in the crater of a long extinct 1, 200 million year old volcano. There are plenty of opportunities to see the “Big 5” in their natural habitat – you can take a jeep with an experienced ranger or why not go by elephant back for a truly unique experience?
Golfing in Sun City
South Africa is a golfers paradise with top class courses to challenge even the keenest player. Sun City offers the Gary Player Course, which hosts the annual Million Dollar Golf Challenge.
GARY PLAYER COUNTRY CLUB - Sun City
Consistently ranked no.1 or 2 course in South Africa and home to the prestigious Nedbank Million Dollar Golf Challenge, the clever design and multiple tees make this course equally enjoyable for both the keen novice and the skilled professional.
» Grading: Platinum
» Green Fees: From €70
» Par 72
- Currency: South Africa Rand (ZAR)
- Glass of Coca Cola: €1
- Bottle of Beer: €1.50
- Bottle of Wine: From €10
- 3 Course meal: €15 - €30
- Time Difference is GMT: + 2 hours (no daylight saving time in 2012)
- Airports: Johannesburg (JNB)
- Flight duration: 12 hours 15 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 40 minutes
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Zulu
- Climate: Varied across the country but generally a temperate climate
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets Europlug 2 pin and type M 3 pin are used
- Visa (Irish citizens): No
- Passport: EU citizens travelling to South Africa must have a valid up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return
- Vaccinations: Tetanus, Typhoid, Malaria, Hepatitis are recommended - please consult your GP.
- These prices are given as a guide only.