Set amid a dramatic landscape, Rocamadour is suspended majestically over the gorge of the River Alzou. Devoted to the Virgin Mary, this village has remained a place of faith and pilgrimage for over 900 years.
In 1166 the miraculously preserved body of St. Amadour was discovered close to the little chapel. This gave a new impetus to the pilgrimage and inspired the daring construction of 7 churches and a monastery clinging to the cliff-face just above the town. The Church of the Black Madonna and the Miraculous Bell are located near the tomb of St. Amadour.
For additional information, please call one of our Pilgrimage Specialists:
- Currency: Euro (€, EUR)
- Local time: GMT +1 hour
- Airports: Tarbes-Lourdes (LDE), Paris (CDG)
- Flight duration: Lourdes 2 hours 15 minutes approximately; Paris 1 hour 15 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 20 minutes from Tarbes-Lourdes airport to Lourdes; 40 minutes from Paris CDG to Paris
- Languages: French; many people speak English
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets continental round 2 pin type are used
- Visa: not required for EU citizens; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities
- Passport: EU passport holders travelling to France must have an up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities