In order to fulfil her desire for a religious life, Bernadette Soubirous joined the Sisters of Charity at St. Gildard in Nevers on 7 July 1866. She remained here for 13 years where she committed her entire life to God and others.
Bernadette died on 16 April 1879, at the age of 35 and her body was buried in the chapel garden. Her body was discovered intact in 1909 and in 1925 was transferred to a Shrine in the Chapel of St. Gildard, where it still rests, entirely incorrupt, today. Saint Bernadette was canonised on 8 December 1933 by Pope Pius XI.
For additional information, please call one of our Pilgrimage Specialists:
- Currency: Euro (€, EUR)
- Local time: GMT +1 hour
- Airports: Tarbes-Lourdes (LDE), Paris (CDG)
- Flight duration: Lourdes 2 hours 15 minutes approximately; Paris 1 hour 15 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 20 minutes from Tarbes-Lourdes airport to Lourdes; 40 minutes from Paris CDG to Paris
- Languages: French; many people speak English
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets continental round 2 pin type are used
- Visa: not required for EU citizens; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities
- Passport: EU passport holders travelling to France must have an up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities