Please note that these are tailor made itineraries and not escorted tours.
Northern Thailand offers visitors a change of pace and a more culturally authentic version of Thai life. This rural region is home to stunning natural scenery featuring dense jungle and stunning mountainous beauty. The climate is cooler here and it’s an ideal place to relax, unwind and soak up the local Thai atmosphere.
Northern Thailand is renowned for its rich history and varied culture, ancient temples and pagodas, religious artefacts, ethnic handicrafts and artwork. But if you are looking for adventure there are plenty opportunities to trek through virgin jungle, raft down white-water rapids or explore the mountainous beauty on elephant back. Chiang Mai, also known as ‘The Rose of the North`, is the gateway to the north and is Thailand’s second largest city. It is an ideal base from which to explore this region. As well as being rich in culture and tradition, Chiang Mai is a bustling, modern city with delicious cuisine, world-class accommodation and excellent opportunities for shopping. Chiang Rai is more traditional and peaceful than Chiang Mai and enjoys a location in the heart of The Golden Triangle - the area where Thailand, Burma and Laos meet at the convergence of the Ruak and Mekong Rivers.
Northern Thailand is renowned for its large number of Cookery Schools and is considered ‘the place’ to do your Thai Cooking Course; choose from half day to week-long courses covering all the aspects of Thai Cuisine. Many courses include a visit to local produce markets and instruction on selecting ingredients as well as teaching you how to prepare popular Thai specialities.
When you have got some ideas on your holiday, please feel free to contact our experienced Worldwide Travel specialists on:
- Currency: Thai Baht (TBH)
- Glass of Coca Cola: €1
- Bottle of Beer: €1.20 - €3.50
- Bottle of Wine: from €20
- 3 Course meal: €8 - €20
- Time Difference is GMT: + 7 hours (no daylight saving time in 2012)
- Airports: Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai (CNX) (CEI)
- Flight duration: 12 hours /12 hours 20 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 20 minutes
- Languages: Thai
- Climate: Hot & humid tropical climate
- Voltage: 220V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets USA 2 pin, USA 3 pin and Europlug 2 pin are used
- Visa (Irish citizens): No
- Passport: EU citizens travelling to Thailand must have a valid up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return
- Vaccinations: Typhoid, Tetanus, Hepatitis A&B, in some areas Malaria are recommended - please consult your GP.
- These prices are given as a guide only.