The Top End
Please note that these are tailor made itineraries and not escorted tours.
The Northern Territory is a state unlike any other, stretching from Uluru in the south to Darwin in the north and encompassing two unique and contrasting regions. Discover the vast red-gold desert of ‘The Red Centre’ and the lush wetlands of the ‘Top End’. The glittering Arafura Sea laps the coastline and provides for a variety of marine based activities including fabulous cruises and excursions from Darwin’s harbour.
Alice Springs is a charming town that combines outback tradition with modern facilities. It is an ideal place to relax and enjoy a few days touring while soaking up the colourful outback culture, ancient Aboriginal Dreamtime lore and magnificent natural scenery. The School of the Air still operates and you can tour the Alice Springs Telegraph Station, as well as visiting the base of The Royal Flying Doctor Service. For 40,000 years Alice Springs has been a traditional ‘meeting place’ for the trading of artefacts, knowledge, art and culture by the Aboriginal people of the region and visitors can experience the vibrant indigenous culture in Alice Springs Aboriginal Art and Culture Centre.
‘The Red Centre’ encompasses some of Australia’s most spectacular sights and experiences including Uluru (Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) and King’s Canyon. At the heart of Australia, it is a holiday destination rich in culture with an intriguing and inspiring landscape. There are a huge variety of escorted tours, day trips and excursions available to ensure you get the most out of your Red Centre experience. Whether you want active adventure incorporating hikes and treks, gentle pursuits and relaxing activities or cultural wonders, we have the perfect range of activities for you. Just ask our experienced Aussie Specialists for advice on the ideal selection of tours to suit your individual requirements.
‘The Top End’ features rich rainforest topography teeming with native wildlife and spectacular waterfalls. It is home to World Heritage National Parks such as Kakadu and Litchfield, which represent the Top End’s changing seasonal moods with plenty of untamed wilderness. In addition, take the time to discover the renowned Katherine Gorge and The East Alligator River areas.
Choose from a deluxe array of nature orientated day trips, excursions and experiences to suit your personal preferences. From river boating trips revealing the massive saltwater crocodile to gentle sunset cruises on balmy seas, there is something for everyone. Why not embark on a luxury escorted tour with experienced local rangers, or follow one of our well-planned self-drive itineraries and explore at your own pace.
Australia’s most northern capital, Darwin, provides a gateway to ‘The Top End’ and acts as an excellent base for exploring the region. It is a relaxed, multicultural, modern city with an excellent array of modern restaurants, bars and entertainment options. You can base yourself here and visit Kakadu and Litchfield on a day trip or extended escorted tour. There is a huge choice of local city based activities too - from harbour cruising to historical city sights.
When you have got some ideas on your holiday, please feel free to contact our experienced Worldwide Travel specialists on:
- East Alligator River & Arnhem Land: Why not take in the East Alligator River and cruise in search of saltwater crocodiles? The Arnhem Land area is revered by local Aboriginal tribes and to appreciate the significance of the area a tour led by an Aboriginal Guide is a must.
- Camping Tours: There is a huge variety of excellent camping tours available for those who want to truly appreciate nature & sleep beneath the stars. These tours utilise permanent bush camps so you don’t have to rough it too much to get close to nature.
- Currency: Australian Dollar (AUD)
- Glass of Coca Cola: €1.50 - €3
- Bottle of Beer: €3 - €7
- Bottle of Wine: from €8 - €16
- 3 Course meal: €18 - €40
- Time Difference is GMT: + 9:30 hours (no daylight saving time in 2012)
- Languages: English
- Climate: Varied region to region. North – Tropical climate. Southwest – Mediterranean climate. Southeast – Temperate climate.
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets type I are used
- Visa (Irish citizens): Yes
- Passport: EU citizens travelling to Australia must have a valid up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return
- Vaccinations: Tetanus, Hepatitis B -please consult your GP.
- These prices are given as a guide only.