Ponta do Sol
Nestled within a high ravine, the small village of Ponta do Sol is situated on the south coast of Madeira. This delightfully unspoilt village is blessed with glorious ocean views and more hours of sunshine than anywhere else on island, which gives the village its name.
A palm lined promenade fringes the pebbly beach, whilst traditional red-roofed, whitewashed buildings nestle at the foot of craggy mountains, overlooking the sea.
- Currency: Euro (€)
- Local time: GMT (Irish time)
- Airports: Lisbon, Faro, Funchal
- Flight duration: Lisbon approx. 2h 40mins, Faro approx.. 3h, Funchal approx. 3h 40 mins
- Languages: Portuguese. Many people speak English
- Climate: Mediterranean climate with long dry summers in the South, Mediterranean-Maritime climate in the North and Subtropical climate in the islands of Madeira and the Azores
- Voltage: 220V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets 2 round pin type are used
- Opening hours: Normally the shops generally open Monday to Saturday between 9am to 1pm & 3pm to 6pm or 7pm. In most of the tourist areas, shops and supermarkets remain open until late