Paray-le-Monial became a worldwide known place of pilgrimage following revelations of the message of the Sacred Heart of Jesus to a young nun, Margaret Mary Alacoque, from the Convent of the Visitation.
It was in the chapel of the Visitation, between 1673 and 1675, that most of the apparitions of Jesus revealing “this heart that has so loved mankind” took place. The town was built around a monastery in the 970’s AD and has been experiencing a renewal as a place of pilgrimage, particularly since Pope John Paul II visited the town as a pilgrim himself.
For additional information, please call one of our Pilgrimage Specialists:
- Currency: Euro (€, EUR)
- Local time: GMT +1 hour
- Airports: Tarbes-Lourdes (LDE), Paris (CDG)
- Flight duration: Lourdes 2 hours 15 minutes approximately; Paris 1 hour 15 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 20 minutes from Tarbes-Lourdes airport to Lourdes; 40 minutes from Paris CDG to Paris
- Languages: French; many people speak English
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets continental round 2 pin type are used
- Visa: not required for EU citizens; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities
- Passport: EU passport holders travelling to France must have an up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities