Please note these are group tours and we do not take individual requests. If you are interested in organising a group Military & Heritage tour please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Somme battlefields are covered with memorials to units and individuals that fought and died there in 1916. Whilst nearly 100 years have passed since the battles, the region is relatively unchanged, with opposing trenches that still silently face each other offering visitors a real feel of what the battlefields must have looked like.
On the trail of the 16th Irish Division & 36th Ulster Division
The 16th Irish Division and the 36th Ulster Division fought on the Somme battlefields in 1916 before heading towards the Ypres Salient area, where they were engaged alongside each other at the battles of Messines and Langemarck, in June and August 1917 respectively. Our programme following the trail of the Irish soldiers is run in association with Captain Donal Buckley who is the top authority in Ireland on Military history in Ireland and all over the world. The tours focus on battlefields, cemeteries and museums uncovering the places and events associated with the two Irish divisions and helping you find some answers to your questions about the Irish heritage in the World War I.
» Ulster Tower
» Newfoundland Park
» Lochnagar Mine Crater
» Thiepval Memorial
» Pozieres Memorial
» Delville Wood Museum
» Somme 1916 Trench Museum
» Piper’s Memorial
Call our specialists today and find out more about the Military & Heritage tours we offer. Let us know about your military genealogy interests ahead of the tour and we will do our best to include cemetery and memorial visits of your interest.
- Currency: Euro (€, EUR)
- Local time: GMT +1 hour
- Airports: Brussels (BRU)
- Flight duration: 1 hour 15 minutes approximately
- Transfer time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Languages: French; many people speak English
- Climate: Continental mountain climate with warm summers and cold, dry winters; best time to travel is April to October
- Voltage: 230V A/C, sockets outlets and sockets Type C 2 pin and Type E 2 pin are used
- Visa: not required for EU citizens; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities
- Passport: EU passport holders travelling to Belgium must have an up-to-date passport valid for travel three months beyond the date of return; non-EU citizens are advised to check with the relevant authorities